Location Ribadavia
Places of interest
Festivals, celebrations and theatre
Local Guide
Further Information


The Clock Tower of Ribadavia
The neoclassical design on the front is dated from the XIX century. The chronicler Murguía wrote about ‘the church door, in is renaissance, the beautiful and curious clock belfry, an iron tiller, all rich and dine to conserve’. On the arch of the door which enters to the clock tower are the arms of the Sarmiento of Ribadavia. As Vicente Risco wrote, it has a very interesting side stairway, with three parts superimposed on one another: below, a door with an arch, in the second a shield displaying the coat of arms (one in white and one with a sun and a moon above a castle and with a picture of a wave) and in the third a window and a sundial.
It was constructed in the decade following 1545. History records that the people in charge of the construction were the expert stonemason Pedro Gómez and the carpenters Juan Leal and Esteban González..
In the October of this 1545 the procurer, the General of the Town and jeweller Glau de Mosquera, delivered a quote to the stonemason; ‘I pay of the House of the Regiment, said Pedro González, twenty dukedoms’. In the year of 1781 the town Council meeting of the 19 April pledged to finish the foundation of the public clock and to inscribe on its bell “Verbum caro Factum est. Xptus. Vincit. Xptus. Regnat. Xptus. Ymperat. Xptus. Ab omni malo nos diferendat’ .
A new mechanism for the clock was later obtained by agreement of the Council of 1883. It was sold later, in 1902, to a private buyer for 17 pesetas and the mechanism was replaced by the present mechanism.
To work the clock, the rope has to be tugged every day. This rope is provide with a wheel with a handle in two parts: one for the hours and the other for the half-hours. The handle for half-hours is comprised by 12 turns and for hours, 142 turns. The person in charge has to work and maintain it – currently Javier Fernández Casas – who has taken more than 36 years without missing a single day of work.





Tourist association - Updated june/29/2009 - Optimized for 800 x 600
© 23/03/2003 Xabier Fernández Davila - Collaborating: Santos Pérez Madarnás, Héctor Pérez Souto