at the end of the XVII century, this is a building of the Romantic
period. It was donated in 1276 and 1294 with a clause compelling
the clerics and monks of St John to build a hospital in Ribadavia.
These generous gentlemen from St John, Jerusalem, Rhodes and Malta,
it was founded with both church and hospital sections.
The order established a hospital to attend to the city’s many
pilgrims that at this time were on the way to visit the apostle
of Santiago, as well as protecting and providing guidance during
The monastic life of the order also included a military element
as they also believed themselves to be also defenders of the faith.